Thursday, November 18, 2010

Enjoy the Movie All Ye Muggles!


Some of my best friends are Harry Potter fans. I'm too much of a misanthrope and sociopath to be a fan of anything. I refused to see Star Wars for years and enjoy poking fun at Star Trek.
That being said, I have read all seven Harry Potter books. Not because I'm a fan, but because I pretty much read every thing I can get my hands on.
I'm fascinated that Rowling had a vision of how the series was to end before she started writing. I had to read the last few chapters several times to fully appreciate how well this vision unfurled. It was stunning.
Some critics are bashing the latest movie, saying it made a lot of wrong choices and will only please hard-core muggles. If it only pleases fans, then it should be a success. Last time I checked, there were A LOT of Harry Potter fans. Seems like the smart thing to do.
I won't be joining you at the premiere , my muggle friends. I won't get dressed up as my favorite character and wait in line for hours. But I'm glad you all are. Movies are fun. Good movies are great fun. Enjoy the movie, enjoy each other. Have a great time rehashing the movie with your friends.
I'm looking forward to reading your reviews and impressions. I have a niece who is in China now in a student exchange program who is a huge fan. I hope she gets to see the movie.
Me, I'll catch it on Netflix in a couple of years. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment