Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Max Voted Today (For the First Time)


We live in New Jersey. So does Lady Liberty. She faces Manhattan, but she is a Jersey girl. As we say here, "Lady Liberty, Jersey's got your back." Today is the first Tuesday in November, and in New Jersey we get to vote EVERY year.
Not this every other year stuff other states do. We hold state-wide elections in odd years, which is fitting (so does Virginia). We didn't vote for a president or U.S. Senator today. But that didn't that matter, it's still a special election.
Especially for Max, the 18 year-old high school senior we enjoy living with. He voted for the first time. He got to vote for Town Council, U.S. Congress and local sheriff (you need to support your local sheriff). There was also a ballot measure that would prohibit the state from using unemployment funds for anything other than unemployment funds. Pretty sad that you need to force politicians to do this, nothing is safe or sacred with these scoundrels.
Max made sure he registered early, got his voter registration card and sample ballot in the mail. He then wisely asked his mother her opinions. After riding his bike around town putting in job applications (he's getting a car so he needs a job) we went to the local elementary school to vote.
I am not exaggerating when I say that most of the female poll workers (average age 83) swooned when Max walked into the building. He is a tall, curly-haired young person who looks a lot like Roger Daltrey.
I had been harassed by political operatives the last three years (I guess I just look like a heretic), so I was looking forward to voting with Max. I sensed that would change the dynamics favorably. I was right.
Poll workers went out of their way to help Max. I insisted he go ahead of me in line, announcing it was his 'first time.' He chatted with several poll workers on his way out. I was hoping he had a good time.
Apparently he did. What moved me was his awareness of what a privilege it is to vote. I would like to share with you what he wrote about his voting experience.
"Today I voted. For wherever there is a crooked politician looking to satisfy the discontented masses, I will be there. With my finger upon the plastic-covered paper ballot and my choices hidden behind a cloak, I will be a hero with a secret identity. Even if the people I voted for don't win, democracy will win. And the green x's, like stars in the sky, shall light not only my future, but the future of our country."
Lady Liberty, Max and all the young people voting today for the first time, they got your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment