Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Growing Up With Sherlock Holmes


I don't remember whether I first came across Sherlock Holmes in the old black and white movies or in the school library. We watched Basil Rathbone, who usually played villains, as Holmes and Nigel Bruce as Watson in those wonderful, old movies.
The one I remember most was The Hounds of the Baskervilles. Some of the films were updated to WWII England where the Nazis were the bad guys.
I only remember getting one Sherlock Holmes book, but it was the complete edition. The edition contained all four novels and five collections of short stories, amounting to more than 1300 pages. I have read it completely at least four times, and favorite stories many times more than that.
Looking back on it, those stories probably shaped my life more than any other collection of stories, save one, that being the Bible.
Knowing that Nigel Bruce's portrayal as Watson as a buffoon was not in the stories did not detract from my enjoyment of either. They are different mediums. People that expect movies to be like books know very little about either books or movies.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle created memorable characters and different people can interpret these characters in different ways. Not all of us are going to like every version, but to NOT like it because it's not like the book misses the point entirely.
That being said, I appreciated Watson's portrayal in the British Television series by David Burke and Edward Hardwicke. Watson came across as competent and sensible. Jeremy Brett's Holmes was masterful, capturing the hyperactive brilliance of the detective.
Brett and Hardwicke did such a magnificent job that it is understandable there would be resistance to the newest version of Holmes on television.
I have yet to see the Robert Downey Jr. movie version, Max highly recommends it, but I have caught all three episodes of the Benedict Cumberbatch (that's his real name!) and Martin Freeman version on Masterpiece Mystery (i.e. British television).
The new version is set in modern times, with cell phones and texting playing a big part. Watching these episodes, which combined several stories in each one, I realized how much I was like Sherlock. It took the modern era setting for it to sink in. When Holmes was cavorting through Victorian England, he remained distant, detached.
It felt like I was watching myself in my late twenties, meaning it was somewhat embarrassing. As to affirm my thinking, my Masterpiece Mystery partner said after watching the first episode that Cumberbatch's Holmes was a lot like me.
In the first episode we find out some of the law enforcement officers regard Holmes as a psychopath. Upon hearing this, Holmes retorts "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath, do your research!"
Holmes' mind works at warp speed. I have often told people that I don't consider my mind any better than any one's, but I understand it works at speeds far faster than the norm. I sometimes get frustrated with people, thinking, "You haven't figured that out yet! What is taking you so long?"
It's taken me years to realize that they're not to blame, they're normal, I'm the one who is abby-normal (apologies to Mel Brooks).
It's very hard for Holmes to have relationships. Watson puts up with him because he is a loyal bloke who appreciates Holmes talents. Freeman's Watson does a good job of calling Holmes on his shortcomings. Which Holmes, in his limited way, acknowledges and appreciates.
The Sherlock episodes are brilliant. Highly recommended. I'm looking forward to seeing the Robert Downey Jr. movie version of Holmes. It's in the queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment